Fayetteville LASIK and Cataract Surgeon
Dr. James "Jay" McDonald, M.D.
Trusted LASIK Surgeons
Dr. James McDonald, M.D.
Dr. McDonald has extensive qualifications that we estimate place him within an elite circle comprising the top LASIK and refractive surgeons in the United States.
For your convenience, these credentials and criteria have been grouped by Experience, Patient Care and Credentials. In addition, Dr. McDonald has included some additional career highlights that while not used by Trusted LASIK Surgeons in our screening process, clearly supplement his highly distinguished career.
Dr. McDonald’s qualifications and credentials as one of the top LASIK surgeons include:
- Over 13 years experience in laser vision surgery, including LASIK
- Over 16 years experience in refractive surgery (laser vision, lens implants and RK Incisional Refractive Surgery)
- Performed over 20,000 LASIK and laser vision procedures
- Principal Investigator for 1 FDA Study for laser manufacturers as well as a Co-Investigator for other studies
- Use of Wavefront Based (“Custom”) LASIK and PRK
- Offers complete refractive surgery care, including LASIK, PRK, Phakic Implants, Limbal Relaxing Incisions, and cataract lens implants procedures
- Management of complications of surgery for new patients who had problems from a LASIK or other vision correction procedure performed by another doctor
- Other eye surgeons, optometrists, opticians, employees of companies that specialize in refractive surgery instrumentation or their family members have had their LASIK and other refractive surgeries performed by Dr. McDonald
- American Academy of Ophthalmology (Member)
- Achievement Award
- International Society of Refractive Surgery (Member)
- American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery (Member)
- Editor: Refractive Internet Forum
- International Intraocular Implant Club (Member)
- American College of Eye Surgeons/Society of Excellence in Eyecare
- Past President. Current Board Member
- Co-Chairman of annual educational meeting
- Fellowship Award
- Certified by American Board of Ophthalmology
- Current Faculty Appointment: Assistant Clinical Professor, Department of Ophthalmology, University of Arkansas Medical Center, Little Rock, AR
- Past Faculty Appointment: Adjunct Professor, Department of Ophthalmology, Louisiana State University, Shreveport, LA
- Washington Regional Medical Center: Chief of Ophthalmology
- 1981 Chief of Staff (1986-1987)
- Member, Board of Governors (1987-1998)
- Secretary, Board of Governors (1991)
- Chairman, Board of Governors (1993)
- Member, WRMC Hospice Program Board (1994)
- Member, Foundation Board (1988-1997)
- Bausch & Lomb: Consultant and Member of Global Advisory Board
- Over 8 peer-reviewed scientific journal articles published
- The Journal of Cataract & Refractive Surgery
- 6 textbook chapters and/or textbooks
- Over 85 lectures on research topics at major eye meetings
- Discovery of nocturnal pupil effect of Alphagan leading to nocturnal glare and halo relief
- Discovery of CLAPIKS for modification of Laser Vision Correction Outcomes
- Author and Developer for Cataract and Refractive Surgery Outcomes Software
- Refractive Surgeon of the Year, State of Arkansas
- World Eye Foundation
- Past Chairman for India, Philippines, Bolivian and China Divisions
- North Arkansas Representative (2001-Present)
- Undergraduate: University of Arkansas, Fayetteville (B.S./B.A.)
- AED Honorary Pre-Med Fraternity
- Medical School: University of Arkansas Medical Center, Little Rock (M.D.)
- Honors Council
- Preceptorship: Family Medicine, Kent Medical Society, Canterbury, England, UK
- Research Preceptor: Obstetrics
- Internship: Medicine/Pediatric, University of Alabama School of Medicine, Birmingham, Alabama
- Department of Ophthalmology, University Hospital, University of Arkansas Medical Center, Little Rock
- Basic Science Instruction in Ophthalmology: Stanford University, California
- Chief Resident: Department of Ophthalmology, University Hospital, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, Little Rock
Dr. Jay McDonald II has been a pioneer of vision correction surgery since 1991. His experience and expertise has garnered him a respected national and international reputation as a leader in the field of vision correction surgery. He has trained surgeons from all over the world in cataract and refractive surgery, including surgeons from China, India, England, and Egypt.
He is board certified in both refractive and cataract surgery by the American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons, a diplomat of the American Board of Ophthalmology, a fellow of the American Academy of Ophthalmology, and a fellow of the Society for Excellence in Eye care. A recipient of numerous honors and awards in ophthalmology, Dr. McDonald has led the state in the development and implementation of new vision correction technology. Dr. McDonald was the first eye surgeon in Arkansas to perform LASIK in 1996. He is currently the president of the American College of Eye Surgeons. In 2000, Dr. McDonald was inducted into the prestigious International Intraocular Implant Club (IIIC), an organization comprised of only 250 leading ophthalmologists from around the world. In 1999, he received the prestigious American Academy of Ophthalmology Achievement Award, an honor bestowed on only 126 surgeons out of 23,000 worldwide. He co-chairs annually the American College of Eye Surgeon's panel of Refractive Surgery Technology and Techniques and serves as an expert discussant on several nationwide industry symposiums concerning refractive and cataract surgery.
Dr. McDonald received his medical degree from the University of Arkansas College of Medicine in 1969. After completing a medical/pediatric internship with the University of Alabama, he returned to the University of Arkansas School of Medicine in Little Rock to complete a four-year residency in ophthalmology. He remains an adjunct clinical professor at the University of Arkansas School of Medicine. He has been in private practice in his hometown of Fayetteville, AR, since 1976.
His hobbies and interests include golf, photography, and music. Dr. McDonald and his wife, Judy, also enjoy following the success of their children and grandchildren.
Thank you for visiting us at Trusted LASIK Surgeons.
To find a vision correction expert surgeon who has qualified to be listed at Trusted LASIK surgeons in another area, please visit:
The screening process and standards used by Trusted LASIK Surgeons™ can be found at: