Riverside LASIK Surgeon
Dr. Howard Gimbel, MD, F.A.C.S.
Trusted LASIK Surgeons
Dr. Howard Gimbel, MD, F.A.C.S.
Dr. Howard Gimbel is Professor and Chair, Department of Ophthalmology, at Loma Linda University
Dr. Gimbel is also Clinical Associate Professor, Department of Surgery, University of Calgary
Dr. Howard Gimbel, Clinical Professor, Department of Ophthalmology, University of California
Dr. Gimbel has over 100 peer-reviewed scientific journal articles published: over 40 text book chapters nine textbooks published: over 1,000 lectures on research topics at major eye meetings both (national & international) and over 25 live broadcasts of LASIK, refractive and cataract eye surgery procedures
Loma Linda University Health Care (LLUHC)
Department of Ophthalmology - LASIK
Contact Dr. Howard Gimbel’s office at the Department of Ophthalmology of Loma Linda University Health Care
Gimbel Eye Center
Direct: (909) 558-2154
Loma Linda University
Health Care Ophthalmology
11370 Anderson, Suite 1800
Loma Linda, CA 9235
Serving Patients in Riverside, Loma Linda, San Bernardino, Rancho Cucamongo, and throughout the Inland Empire in California as well as Palm Springs.
For patients in Alberta, Canada:
Gimbel Eye Centre
Suite 450, 4935 - 40 Avenue N.W.
Calgary, Alberta T3A 2N1 Canada
Telephone: (403) 286-3022
Special discount* on LASIK and other elective surgery procedures offered by Dr. Gimbel to members of U.S. military, local police and fire departments and certain family members. To learn more, please contact the surgeon’s office directly and mention Trusted LASIK Surgeons.
Dr. Howard Gimbel has extensive qualifications that Trusted LASIK Surgeons estimates place him among the top 1% of LASIK, refractive and cataract surgeons in the United States.
Dr. Gimbel's qualifications and credentials as one of the top LASIK and cataract surgeons include:
- First eye surgeon in North America using a regulatory approved device to remove a cataract by laser. The procedure is known as Dodick Laser Photolysis.
- Over 13 years experience in Implantable Corrective Lens Implantation. (ICL)
- Over 25 years experience in refractive surgery (RK, lens implants, and laser vision correction, )
- Over 35 years experience in cataract surgery (including cataract surgery with lens implants)
- Performed over 16,000 LASIK and laser vision procedures
- Performed over 70,000 cataract surgery procedures
- Investigator for 6 FDA clinical studies for laser manufacturers and 22 FDA investigative studies
- Developed the following ophthalmic surgery techniques:
- Continuous Curvilinear Capsulorhexis (CCC)
- Divide and Conquer
- 6 variations of Membrane Optic Capture (MOC)
- Capsule Membrane Suture Fixation
- Conjunctival Advancing Scleral Tunnel (CAST) incision
Premier Patient Care
- “All-Laser” LASIK (bladeless) using the IntraLase laser
- Wavefront Based (“Custom”) LASIK and PRK laser eye surgery
- Use of intraLase Lasik procedure- using OPD Scan Technology, IntraLase, and NIDEK advanced NAVEX Quest treatments
- Offers complete refractive surgery care
- LASIK and PRK laser eye surgery
- Intraocular refractive surgery lens implant surgery (IOLs) including Refractive Lensectomy (RLE) or Clear Lensectomy (CLE) using monofocal lenses, multifocal lenses, toric lenses, and accommodating lenses, as well as phakic implants.
- Other vision correction surgery: Astigmatic Keratotomy or Limbal Relaxing Incisions
- Cataract Eye Surgery (including cataract surgery with lens implants)
- Management of complications of surgery for new patients who had problems from a LASIK or another vision correction or cataract surgery performed by another doctor
- Other eye surgeons, optometrists, opticians, employees of companies that specialize in refractive surgery instrumentation or their family members have had their LASIK and other refractive surgery procedures or cataract surgery performed by Dr. Gimbel
- Current Faculty Appointments:
- Professor and Chair, Department of Ophthalmology, Loma Linda University
- Full Clinical Professor, Department of Surgery, University of Calgary
- Member of Research Committee, Division of Ophthalmology
- Clinical Professor, Department of Ophthalmology, University of California
- Hospital Staff Appointments
- Professional Society and Organizations (Membership and Affiliations)
- American Academy of Ophthalmology (AAO) Life Member)
- Senior Achievement Award
- American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery (ASCRS)
- American Medical Association
- American Academy of Ophthalmology (AAO) Life Member)
- Professional Society and Organizations-Canada
- Amo Alberta Chapter of American College of Surgeons (ACS)
Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery (CSCRS)
- Member of the Board
- Canadian Medical Association
- Canadian Ophthalmological Society (COS) (Life Member)
- College of Physicians and Surgeons of Alberta
- Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada (Fellow)
- Professional Societies and Organizations - International Memberships:
- European Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons (ESCRS)
- International College of Medicine and Surgery of the American Hospital of Paris (Fellow)
- International Intraocular Implant Club (lllC)
- International Society of Refractive Surgery (Past Member)
- Past Member of the Canadian Sub-Committee of the Fellow/Resident Committee
- International Society for Imaging in the Eye (ISIE)
- Certifications include:
- American Board of Ophthalmology
- Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons
- Consulting Positions (for companies that develop lasers and other ophthalmic products)
- NIDEK Medical Advisory Board.
- Editorial Positions: Dr. Gimbel serves in an editorial capacity for numerous ophthalmology publications, including:
- The European Journal of Implant and Refractive Surgery, Journal of Cataract and Refractive Surgery, Ocular Surgery News, Ophthalmic Surgery, Lasers & Imaging , Ophthalmology Times, Phaco and Foldables, Video Journal of Ophthalmology, Vision & Aging, Evidence-Based Eye Care, EyeMDLink.com, and Ophthalmic Practice
- Over 100 peer-reviewed scientific journal articles published
- Over 40 text book chapters and 9 textbooks published
- Over 1,000 lectures on research topics at major eye meetings (national and international)
- Over 25 live broadcasts of LASIK, refractive and cataract eye surgery procedures
Inventions and Patents
- 1982 Intraocular Lens System: Serial # 156,072; US Patent #4,342,123
- 1984 Updating Intraocular Lens System: Serial # 404,290; US Patent #4, 485,498
- Recipient of a Lifetime Achievement Award from the Canadian Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery and also from the Canadian Ophthalmological Society
- Recognized as one of the Top 50 Opinion Leaders 2005, for Outstanding Contribution and Leadership in the Fields of Cataract and Refractive Surgery as Voted on by Readers of Cataract & Refractive Surgery Today in 2005.
- Consumers’ Choice Award (Canada) in 2004 for Business Excellence representing Gimbel Eye Centre under the category of Laser Eye Correction Centre (February 23, 2003)
- Alumnus of the Year Award from Loma Linda University School of Public Health
- In Recognition of “Your Vision of What a Healthy Lifestyle Can Mean: Your Commitment to Sharing that Vision with the Public and Your Dedication to the Mission of the School of Public Health”.
- Inducted into the Alberta Order of Excellence
- Finalist in top 25 ophthalmologists nominated for ASCRS’s 10 Most Influential Ophthalmologists of the 20th Century
- Recipient of the 1999 MEDEC Award for Medical Achievement from Medical Devices in Canada
- Recipient of “The Award for Outstanding Achievement in Health Science by the Adventist Alumni Awards Committee”
- Selected as a Pioneer in Refractive Surgery by Summit Technology Inc (1998)
- Chosen as one of the 50 most influential people in Alberta by Alberta Venture Magazine (1998)
- Undergraduate: B.A. in Physics, Walla Walla College, College Place, Washington
- Medical School: M.D., Loma Linda University School of Medicine, Loma Linda, California
- Internship: White Memorial Medical Center, Los Angeles, CA
White Memorial Medical Center, Los Angeles, CA
In a career spanning four decades, Dr. Howard Gimbel has received dozens of awards and distinctions. But his greatest satisfaction comes
from restoring or improving the vision of his patients. "Helping individual patients and teaching other doctors so they can help their own patients is the greatest satisfaction and honor I can imagine for any ophthalmologist," he says.
Born into a pioneering farm family in southern Alberta, Dr. Gimbel was destined to be an innovator. After studying medicine at California's Loma Linda University and completing an ophthalmology residency at White Memorial Medical Centre in Los Angeles, Dr. Gimbel began the practice of ophthalmology in Calgary.
Early in his career, Dr. Gimbel's fascination with emerging technology ensured that his patients would receive the most sophisticated care available. In 1974, he became the first Canadian surgeon to use an ultrasonic probe to remove cataracts. When he combined this technique with the new intraocular lens implants, the demand for the surgery grew exponentially. The procedure didn't require hospitalization, so, with the co-operation of the Foothills Hospital, Dr. Gimbel introduced outpatient eye surgery to Canada. As demand increased, Dr. Gimbel built the first freestanding ophthalmic surgery centre in Canada. Working with anesthesiologist Dr. Roy Hamilton, Dr Gimbel and his staff were able to provide a pleasant and reassuring surgical experience. Invasive tests and procedures, hospital gowns and unnecessary medications were eliminated. Patients were able to maintain their regular routines and could enjoy the comforting presence of their families throughout the clinical and surgical experience. The unique opportunity to be entrusted with the care of so many patients naturally led Dr. Gimbel to develop new techniques which, by improving the safety and results of cataract surgery, became world standards.
Dr. Gimbel's patients were so enthusiastic about their care that they encouraged him to share his techniques by donating funds for research and teaching activities. With his wife, Judy, he founded the Gimbel Eye Foundation to handle these donations and it continues to support numerous research, educational and service projects designed to improve surgery outcomes and the delivery of patient care which has helped to impact medical and surgical practices around the world.
While innovating new techniques in cataract surgery, Dr. Gimbel also became active in refractive surgery, bringing the original radial keratotomy procedure to Alberta in 1984. In 1990, Gimbel Eye Centre was the site of the first Excimer laser refractive surgery in Canada. Since then, tens of thousands of patients have enjoyed a new world of clear vision without corrective lenses. Dr. Gimbel remains an active cataract and refractive surgeon and continues to innovate and to offer the latest techniques and technologies to his patients. He also sits on a number of international investigative committees, medical advisory and editorial boards.
Dr. Gimbel not only offers cataract and laser refractive surgery to his patients but he also offers intraocular lens refractive procedures as alternatives for individuals who do not qualify for LASIK or PRK.
Dr. Gimbel's love of research and teaching has been a distinguishing feature of his career. He has co-authored two best-selling textbooks in addition to numerous book chapters. He is a frequent contributor to medical journals and is in high demand as a speaker at ophthalmology conferences. Because he cannot accept every invitation to attend conferences and other meetings, Dr Gimbel has produced numerous surgery training videos and beamed live surgery via satellite from Gimbel Eye Centre to over 25 major conferences around the world. He has been an honoured guest speaker at many universities including Harvard, Tufts, Duke, Johns, Hopkins, UCLA, USCF and the Mayo and Cleveland Clinics. Further afield, he has lectured in universities and hospitals across Asia and Europe. Dr. Gimbel also holds academic appointments at the University of Calgary and the University of California San Francisco and in 2000 was named Professor and Chairman of the Department of Ophthalmology at Loma Linda University, a position which requires monthly commutes to California while maintaining an active clinical and surgical practice in Calgary.
Of the many distinctions Dr. Gimbel has received, a few are particularly noteworthy. In 1992, Dr. Gimbel was invested into the Alberta Order of Excellence in recognition of his ability to combine technical excellence and innovation with the art of caring in an atmosphere of open communication. The American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery has twice honored Dr. Gimbel — awarding him the Binkhorst Medal in 1994 and later listing him as one of the "25 Most Influential Ophthalmologists of the 20th Century."
As a committed Christian, Dr. Gimbel chooses to trust in God for guidance and strength. He also lives and promotes a healthy lifestyle. His wife Judy is his valued personal and business partner and her enthusiasm, dedication, and hard work have made her an integral part of Gimbel Eye Centre. Together they enjoy traveling, hiking and spending time with their five grown children and twelve grandchildren. With an appreciation for fine music, Dr. Gimbel enjoys listening to classical music, singing in choral groups, and playing the musical saw and trombone.
For patients in Riverisde, Loma Linda, San Bernardino, Rancho Cucamongo, and throughout the Inland Empire in California as well as Palm Springs, please call (909) 558-2154 today for your consultation with a trusted expert LASIK eye surgeon and vision care specialist and cataract surgeon. For patients in Calgary and surrounding areas in the province of Alberta, and other provinces in Canada, please call (403) 286-3022. You now have accurate information and a direct contact to an exceptional surgeon. Dr. Howard Gimbel is looking forward to meeting with you. You questions and concerns are welcome. Thank you for visiting us at Trusted LASIK Surgeons.
To find a vision correction expert surgeon who has qualified to be listed at Trusted LASIK surgeons in another area, please visit:
The screening process and standards used by Trusted LASIK Surgeons™ can be found at: