Kansas City LASIK Surgeon
Dr. Daniel Durrie, M.D.
Trusted LASIK Surgeons
Dr. Daniel Durrie, M.D.
- Dr. Durrie is Director of Refractive Surgery University of Kansas Medical Center.
- Dr. Daniel Durrie has over 150 peer-reviewed scientific journal articles published
- Dr. Durrie One of the 50 “Most Influential Ophthalmologists in the World” by Cataract and Refractive Surgery Magazine
- Serving Overland Park, Leawood, Shawnee, Grandview and Lenexa. Kansas, the US and international patients.
Website: Durrie Vision of Kansas City
5520 College Boulevard, Suite 201
Overland Park, Kansas 66211
Special discount* on LASIK and other elective surgery procedures offered by Dr. Durrie to members of U.S. military, local police and fire departments and certain family members. For more info, please contact the surgeon’s office directly and mention Trusted LASIK Surgeons.
Dr. Daniel Durrie has extensive qualifications that we estimate place him among the top 1% of LASIK Laser Eye Surgeons, refractive surgeons and cataract surgeons in the United States.
For your convenience, these credentials and criteria have been grouped by Experience, Patient Care and Credentials. In addition, Dr. Durrie has included some additional career highlights that while not used by Trusted LASIK Surgeons in our screening process, clearly supplement his highly distinguished career.
Dr.Durrie’s qualifications and credentials as one of the top LASIK surgeons include:
- Over 20 years experience in laser vision surgery, including LASIK
- Over 25 years experience in refractive surgery (laser vision, lens implants and RK)
- Performed over 40,000 LASIK and laser vision procedures
- Principal Investigator for 150 clinical Studies for laser manufacturers and pharmaceutical companies including Alcon Surgical
- Use of IntraLase system for “All-Laser” or “Bladeless” LASIK
- Use of Wavefront Based (“Custom”) LASIK and PRK
- Use of iLASIK Procedure- WaveScan Technology, IntraLase, and Visx Advanced CustomVue treatments
- Offers complete refractive surgery care, including LASIK, PRK, RLE / CLE, CK (Conductive Keratoplasty), Phakic Implants, Limbal Relaxing Incisions, and cataract lens implants procedures
- Management of complications of surgery for new patients who had problems from a LASIK or other vision correction procedure performed by another doctor
- Other eye surgeons, optometrists, opticians, employees of companies that specialize in refractive surgery instrumentation or their family members have had their LASIK and other refractive surgeries performed by Dr. Durrie
- Fellow,American Academy of Ophthalmology
- Senior Achievement Award
- Lifetime Achievement Award
- RSIG Executive Board, American Academy of Ophthalmology
- Member of the International Society of Refractive Surgery
- Secretary and Board Member, International Society of Refractive Surgery, 1998-2003
- Barraquer Lecturer, International Society of Refractive Surgery, 2002
- Distinguished Lans Lectureship, International Society of Refractive Surgery, 1996
- Member of the American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery
- Member, Education Committee
- Member of the American Ophthalmological Society
- Board Certified by American Board of Ophthalmology
- Past Board member, American College of Eye Surgeons
- Member, Kansas Medical Society
- Member, Kansas City Society of Ophthalmology and Otolaryngology
- Member, American Medical Association
- Member, Missouri Medical Society
- Current Faculty Appointments: Clinical Associate Professor, Ophthalmology, University of Kansas Medical Center, Kansas City, Kansas
- Director, Ophthalmic Refractive Surgery Fellowship Program, 1993 - present
- Past Faculty Appointments
- Clinical Assistant Professor, Ophthalmology, University of Missouri at Kansas City
- Adjunct Faculty Member, Pennsylvania College of Optometry, Philadelphia 1993-2004
- Director, Corneal Service, University of Nebraska,1982-1989
- Director, Corneal Service, Nebraska Veteran's Hospital, 1982-1989
- Consultant for:
- Acufocus, Inc.
- Nidek Technology
- Calhoun Vision
- Tracey Technologies, Inc.
- Over 150 peer-reviewed scientific journal articles published
- Numerous text book chapters and/or books
- Hundred of lectures on research topics at major eye meetings
- One of the 50 “Most Influential Ophthalmologists in the World” by Cataract and Refractive Surgery Magazine
- One of the "Top 10 Refractive Surgeons in the America", Ophthalmology Times
- Best Doctors in America lists every year since 2007
- America's Top Doctors (every year of publication)
- America's Top Ophthalmologists
- Pioneer in Refractive Surgery, 1999 (selected by the Phoenix Ophthalmological Society
- Undergraduate: B.S. in Chemistry at the University of Nebraska, Lincoln, Nebraska
- Medical School: M.D., University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, Nebraska
- Graduated with distinction
- AOA (Alpha Omega Alpha), Medical Honor Society
- Residency (in Ophthalmology Residency): University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, Nebraska
- Corneal Fellowship: Filkins Eye Consultants, Omaha, Nebraska
Dr. Daniel S. Durrie is the leader of the Durrie Vision refractive surgery team and a visionary in the field of ophthalmology. With more than 25 years experience in refractive and corneal surgery, he has dedicated his career to being a pioneer in procedures to correct nearsightedness, farsightedness and astigmatism.
Dr. Durrie has built a world class refractive surgery center located in the heart of the country which also houses a prominent research facility that complements Kansas City’s Life Sciences community as a partner in biological research. Durrie Vision and his team are proud to welcome patients from all over the US and Europe seeking the very best in eye care.
Dr. Durrie’s passion is research. His desire to always be on the forefront of technology has led him to be a leader amongst his peers. He has participated in over 150 clinical studies and has performed more than 40,000 refractive surgery procedures. In addition to FDA approved clinical trials, Dr. Durrie conducts his own research trials to continually refine and enhance the individual results for the patient. He has served as medical monitor for several excimer laser studies and has been an investigator for many others. He continues to review refractive surgical techniques and analyze clinical study data. Dr. Durrie trains surgeons from around the world on new surgical techniques.
Scientific articles and papers by Dr. Durrie have appeared in hundreds of professional medical publications. He serves on the editorial board for Ocular Surgery News (Section Editor), The Journal of Corneal and Refractive Surgery, Review of Ophthalmology and Refractive Eye care for Ophthalmologists. Dr. Durrie has given hundreds of presentations to professional organizations throughout the world.
As a way of giving back to the community, Dr. Durrie is the founding member and medical advisor of Focus on Independence, a 501C3 organization, dedicated to providing no-cost vision correction surgery to people with spinal cord injuries.
Dr. Durrie received his medical doctorate and completed his ophthalmology residency at the University of Nebraska. He graduated with distinction from the University of Nebraska school of Medicine. He was a member of Alpha Omega Alpha, a medical Honor society for medical students graduating in the top ten per cent of their class. Dr. Durrie is a board-certified ophthalmologist. He serves as clinical professor and director of refractive surgery services at the University of Kansas Medical Center.
Dr. Durrie is committed to excellence not only for his patients but for the refractive industry as a whole. His belief is that every refractive patient deserves the very best result. By participating in research, investigating the next best procedure and sharing his experience, knowledge and passion with other surgeons, he believes will accomplish this task.
To find a vision correction expert surgeon who has qualified to be listed at Trusted LASIK surgeons in another area, please visit:
The screening process and standards used by Trusted LASIK Surgeons™ can be found at: