Dallas LASIK Surgeon
R. Wayne Bowman, M.D.
Trusted LASIK Surgeons
R. Wayne Bowman, M.D.
Dr. Bowman is a Professor of Ophthalmology at UT Southwestern Medical Center in Dallas.
Visit the "Ask a LASIK Surgeon" Facebook page for UT Southwestern Medical Center to learn more.
UT Southwestern Laser Center for Vision Care
1801 Inwood Road
Dallas, TX 75390-8895
Please let Dr. Bowman know you found him through his Trusted LASIK Surgeons listing.
Dr. Bowman has extensive qualifications that Trusted LASIK Surgeons estimates place him among the top 1% of LASIK, refractive, and cataract surgeons in the United States.Dr. Bowman’s qualifications and credentials as one of the top LASIK and cataract surgeons include:
- Dr. Bowman and his fellow surgeons at UT Southwestern were among the first cataract surgeons in the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex to offer laser-assisted cataract surgery
- 24 years experience in laser vision surgery, including LASIK
- Over 25 years experience in refractive surgery (laser vision, lens implants and RK)
- Over 25 years experience in cataract surgery (including cataract surgery with lens implants)
- Performed over 2,000 LASIK and laser vision procedures
- Performed over 3,000 lens implant (IOL) procedures
- Performed over 10,000 cataract surgery procedures
- Performed over 1,000 corneal transplant surgery procedures
- Principal Investigator for 3 FDA Studies for manufacturers of lasers and other devices, products, and/or medications related to vision and general eyecare
Premier Patient Care
- “All-Laser” LASIK (bladeless) using the IntraLase laser
- Wavefront Based (“Custom”) LASIK and PRK laser eye surgery
- Use of iLASIK Procedure- WaveScan Technology, IntraLase, and Visx Advanced CustomVue treatments
- Offers complete refractive surgery care
- Cataract Surgery (including cataract surgery with lens implants)
- Management of complications of surgery for new patients who had problems from a LASIK or other vision correction or cataract surgery procedure performed by another doctor.
- Other eye surgeons, optometrists, opticians, employees of companies that specialize in refractive surgery instrumentation or their family members have chosen Dr. Bowman to perform their LASIK and other refractive surgeries as well as cataract surgery procedures.
- Current Faculty Appointments: University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center
- Professor, Irene Wadel and Robert I. Atha, Jr. Professorship in Ophthalmology, in Honor of R. Wayne Bowman, M.D. (2000-present)
- Faculty Senate
- Past Faculty Appointments
- Associate Professor: The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas, Southwestern Medical School Department of Ophthalmology (1991–1999)
- Assistant Professor: The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas, Southwestern Medical School Department of Ophthalmology (1984–1991)
- Clinical Instructor: University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston (1983–1984)
- Professional Societies and Organizations
- Member of American Academy of Ophthalmology
- Fellow, American College of Surgeons (1990 - 1996)
- Dallas County Medical Society
- Dallas Academy of Ophthalmology
- Texas Medical Association
- Texas Ophthalmological Association
- Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology (ARVO)
- Ocular Microbiology and Immunology Study Group
- Over 50 peer-reviewed scientific journal articles published
- 6 text book chapters and/or books published, which include:
- Bowman RW, Miller K, McCulley JP: Diagnosis and Treatment of Chronic Blepharitis, In Focal Points, 1989: Clinical Modules for Ophthalmologists. Vol 7, Module 10, 1989
- Bowman RW, McCulley JP: Relapsing Polychondritis, In The Eye in Systemic Disease, Ed. Gold D, Weingeist T. Lippincott & Co., 1990
- Bowman RW, McCulley JP: Ocular Bacteriology, In Principles and Practice in Ophthalmology, Ed. Albert DM and Jakobiec FA. WB Saunders, Philadelphia, PA, p. 816-834, 1993
- McCulley JP, Shine W, Bowman RW: Diagnosis and Management of Chronic Blepharitis, In Update on Infectious Diseases of the Eye,
Ed. Bialasiewicz AA, Aeolus Press, Buren, The Netherlands, p 75-86, 1994
- Bowman RW, McCulley JP, Jester JV: Meibomian Gland Dysfunction and Rosacea. In, Ocular Infection and Immunity, Ed. Pepose JS, Holland GN, Wilhelmus KR. Mosby-Yearbook, Inc., Philadelphia, p 334-343, 1996
- Bowman RW, McCulley JP: Ocular Bacteriology, In Principles and Practice in Ophthalmology, Ed. Albert DM and Jakobiec FA. WB Saunders, Philadelphia, PA, 2nd edition, p. 97-114, 2000
- Over 50 presentations and lectures on research topics at major eye meetings
- Over 90 peer-reviewed articles at eye journals
- 7 book chapters related to vision correction
- Served on over 10 panels as a moderator or panelist at major eye meetings
- Taught oer 10 courses or wet labs at major eye meetings
- Listed in Texas Super Doctors, Texas Monthly magazine (2004-present)
- Listed in "Best Doctors in Dallas" by D Magazine (2003-present)
- Listed in Who's Who in America
- Listed in Who's Who in Medicine and Healthcare
- Undergraduate: University of Missouri, Columbia, Missouri:
- Medical School: Universityof Missouri Medical School
University of Missouri Medical School (Internal Medicine)
- Outstanding Achievement as a Resident: 1977-78; 1978-79
- Outstanding Achievement as an Intern: 1976–1977
- Fellowship Training: University of Texas Health Sciences Center at Houston
R. Wayne Bowman, M.D., is Professor of Ophthalmology, and holder of the Irene Wadel and Robert I. Atha, Jr. Professorship in Ophthalmology, in Honor of R. Wayne Bowman, M.D. at UT Southwestern Medical Center in Dallas. He has been a member of the Ophthalmology faculty at UT Southwestern since 1984. He has developed a referral practice for the treatment of corneal, anterior segment disease, and external diseases of the eye. His previous training in internal medicine contributes to his interest and expertise in dealing with anterior segment problems in the context of other systemic diseases. Of particular interest to Dr. Bowman is complicated cataract surgery. He has lectured extensively on cataract surgery and keratorefractive surgery.
Call (888) 663-2020, or visit utswlasik.com to sign up for a free LASIK consultation with a trusted expert LASIK eye surgeon and vision care specialist. You now have accurate information and a direct contact to an exceptional surgeon. Dr. Bowman is looking forward to meeting with you.
To find a vision correction expert surgeon who has qualified to be listed at Trusted LASIK surgeons in another area, please visit:
The screening process and standards used by Trusted LASIK Surgeons™ can be found at: