Fort Worth LASIK Surgeon
James McCulley, M.D.
Trusted LASIK Surgeons™
Dr. James P. McCulley, M.D.
- UT Southwestern Medical Center , Dallas, TX
- Dr. McCulley is Professor and Chair of the Department of Ophthalmology.
Discounts on LASIK and other elective surgery procedures offered by Dr. McCulley to members of U.S. military, local police and fire departments and certain family members. For more info, please contact the surgeon’s office directly and mention Trusted LASIK Surgeons.
Do you have Cataracts? If you are interested in more information about cataract and cataract surgery, please visit the UT Southwestern Cataract discussion.
UT Southwestern Laser Center for Vision Care
1801 Inwood Road
Dallas, TX., 75390-8895
Direct: (888) 663-2020
Please let Dr. McCulley know you found him through his Trusted LASIK Surgeons listing.
Dr. James McCulley has extensive qualifications that Trusted LASIK Surgeons estimates place him among the top 1% of LASIK, refractive, and cataract surgeons in the United States.
Dr. McCulley’s qualifications and credentials as one of the top LASIK Laser and cataract surgeons include:
- Dr. McCulley and his fellow surgeons at UT Southwestern were among the first cataract surgeons in the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex to offer laser-assisted cataract surgery.
- Over 24 years experience in laser vision surgery, including LASIK
- Over 50 years experience in refractive surgery (laser vision, lens implants and RK)
- Performed over 2,000 lens implant (IOL) procedures
- Performed over 3,000 cataract surgery procedures
- Performed over 1,000 corneal transplant surgery procedures
- Principal Investigator for 3 FDA Studies for laser manufacturers (Alcon: LADAR, VISX, and IntraLase), Co-Investigator for 6 other FDA studies as well as 7 studies for the National Eye Institute (NEI)
- FDA Ophthalmic Device Panel: Member and Chair
- The FDA Ophthalmic Device Panel reviews lasers and refractive correcting IOLs (Intraocular Lens Implants)
- Doctor from work-up to surgery through post-operative care
Premier Patient Care
- Comprehensive refractive surgery options, including
- “All-Laser”LASIK (bladeless) using the IntraLaser
- Wavefront Based (“Custom”) LASIK and PRK
- iLASIK – WaveScan technology, VISX Advanced CustomVue
- Wavefront-optimized LASIK and PRK
- Topography guided LASIK and PRK
- Laser-Assisted Cataract Surgery
- Intraocular lens (IOL) implant surgery, including astigmatic- and presbyopic-correcting implants
- Corneal transplant surgery including penetrating/full thickness cornea transplant; lamellar cornea transplant; posterior lamellar/endothelial cornea transplant; DSAEK; DMEK; and DALK
- Treatment of keratoconus, including corneal cross-linking and Intacs®
- Management of complications of surgery stemming from a prior LASIK or other vision-correction or cataract surgery procedure performed by another physician
- Current Faculty Appointments: University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Southwestern Medical School
- Received The David Bruton, Jr. Chair in Ophthalmology in 1985
- Professor and Chairman of Ophthalmology (since 1981)
- Past Faculty Appointments
- University of Texas Health Science Center, Southwestern Medical School: Associate Professor of Ophthalmology
- Stanford University Medical School: Assistant Professor of Surgery (Ophthalmology)
- Harvard Medical School Clinical Fellow, Department of Ophthalmology
- Professional Societies and Organizations (Memberships)
- Member of American Academy of Ophthalmology (since 1975)
- Member of International Society of Refractive Surgery (since 1984)
- Member of American Society of Cataract and Refractive Society (ASCRS) (since 1978)
- Certified by American Board of Ophthalmology (ABO) (since 1974)
- Associate Examiner for ABO (since 1989)
- Over 300 peer-reviewed articles written for eye journals
- 57 book chapters written
- Over 200 citable abstracts presented at major eye meetings and symposiums, internationally and nationally
- OVer 25 presentations of research at major eye meetings
- Served on over 12 panels at major eye meetings as a moderator or panelist
- Taught over 15 courses and wet labs and major eye meetings
Additional Career Highlights
- Washington University School of Medicine, Alumni Award in Internal Medicine (1968)
- Harvard Medical School Department of Ophthalmology (Massachusetts Eye & Ear Infirmary) Distinguished Alumnus Award (2006)
- Texas Christian University Alumni Association Distinguished Alumnus Award (2001)
- ARVO: Fellow (2009)
- Listed in Texas "Super Doctors", Texas Monthly Magazine (2004-present)
- Listed in Who’s Who in American Education (2005-present)
- Listed in Who's Who in Medicine and Healthcare (2009-2010)
- Listed in Castle Connolly America's Top Doctors
- Qualified and listed in the Trusted LASIK Surgeons Directory, a LASIK and refractive surgeon directory service that screens surgeons based on experience, outstanding patient care, and research (2008-present)
- Consumer Research Council of America
- Castroviejo Medal recipient, 2012
- AAO Life Achievement Award (2014)
- Undergraduate: Texas Christian University, B.S. (Science & Mathematics)
- Distinguished Alumnus Award 2001
- Medical School: Washington University, St. Louis, MO, M.D.
- Alumni Award in Internal Medicine, 1968
- Residency:Ophthalmology, Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary/Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA
- Distinguished Alumnus Award Harvard Medical School 2006
- Fellowship Training:
Professor and Chair of the Department of Ophthalmology since 1981, Dr. James P. McCulley, M.D., attributes his career trajectory, drive, and work ethic to his family. “My mother was a college professor, and my father was a businessman, and these professions influenced my decision to chair a department,” he says.
Dr. McCulley holds The David Bruton, Jr. Chair in Ophthalmology, and is a board-certified ophthalmologist specializing in corneal, external diseases and anterior segment surgery. A Fort Worth native, he received his undergraduate degree from Texas Christian University. He then went to Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis, Missouri, and completed an internship with the Harvard Medical Service at Boston City Hospital. Both his residency and corneal fellowship training were with the Massachusetts Eye & Ear Infirmary (Harvard Medical School) in Boston. Dr. McCulley spent two years at Bethesda Naval Hospital before taking an academic position at Stanford University School of Medicine in Palo Alto, California. He found his way back to the Lone Star state in 1980, when he joined the Department of Ophthalmology at UT Southwestern.
Dr. McCulley has served on many committees and boards, including the UT Southwestern Health Systems Board of Directors; the Clinical Advisory Committee; and the Executive Committee of Clinical Chairs. Outside of UT Southwestern, he has served as a member of the Food and Drug Administration’s Ophthalmic Devices Panel of the Medical Devices Advisory Committee; a Prevent Blindness Texas board member; and Co-Medical Director of the Dallas Lions Sight and Tissue Foundation, among others.
Awards and honors have been part of Dr. McCulley’s career since 1968, when Washington University awarded him the Alumni Award in Internal Medicine. In 2001, he received Texas Christian University’s Alumni Association Distinguished Alumnus Award, followed in 2006 by the Distinguished Alumni Award from the Department of Ophthalmology at Harvard Medical School. In 2012, the Cornea Society awarded Dr. James P. McCulley, M.D. the Castroviejo Medal, internationally recognized as the highest honor bestowed upon a cornea specialist.
As an invited guest speaker or lecturer, Dr. James P. McCulley, M.D. has presented at over 200 professional conferences in the U.S., South America, Australia, Europe, Asia, and the Middle East. He is a member of multiple professional organizations and sits on the editorial boards of several peer-reviewed journals. Dr. McCulley has published more than 300 peer-reviewed journal papers, citable abstracts, books, and book chapters.
Call (888) 663-2020, or visit the UT Southwestern Laser Center for Vision Care to sign up for a your free LASIK consultation with a trusted expert LASIK eye surgeon and vision care specialist. You now have accurate information and a direct contact to an exceptional surgeon. Dr. McCulley is looking forward to meeting with you. You questions and concerns are welcome. Thank you for visiting us at Trusted LASIK Surgeons.
To find a vision correction expert surgeon who has qualified to be listed at Trusted LASIK surgeons in another area, please visit:
The screening process and standards used by Trusted LASIK Surgeons™ can be found at: