Plano Dallas LASIK Surgeon
Dr. Robert E. Smith II
Trusted LASIK Surgeons™
Dr. Robert E. Smith, M.D.
- Medical Director & Chief Surgeon in Dallas Texas, LasikPlus
- Associate Clinical Professor of Ophthalmology, Wilford Hall USAF Medical Center
- Associate Clinical Professor of Ophthalmology, University of Texas Health Science Center
Phone (Español): (866) 921-2394
Polo Towne Crossing
2108 Dallas Parkway Suite 206
Plano, Texas 75093
To make an appointment for Dr. Smith in the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex area, please visit: LasikPlus Appointment for Dr. Robert E Smith in Dallas-Fort Worth.
Call or contact Dr. Robert E. Smith, II today and please mention Trusted LASIK Surgeons for your free LASIK consultation with a true LASIK expert who is a trusted eye surgeon, vision care specialist and cataract surgeon Dr. Smith’s exceptional qualifications are listed below.
Discounts: LasikPlus offers discounts on LASIK to patients of many of the leading health and vision providers. For more details, please visit: LasikPlusDiscount for Managed Care Providers
Dr. Robert E. Smith, II has extensive qualifications that Trusted LASIK Surgeons estimates place him among the top 1% of LASIK laser eye surgery and refractive surgeons and cataract surgery specialists in the United States.
For your convenience, these credentials and criteria have been grouped by Experience, Premier Patient Care and Credentials. In addition, Dr. Smith has included some additional career highlights that while not used by Trusted LASIK Surgeons in our screening process, clearly demonstrate his highly distinguished career as a true pioneer in advancing vision correction surgery throughout the world.
Dr. Smith’s qualifications and credentials as one of the top LASIK surgeons and cataract surgery experts include:
- First to perform PRK/LASIK on pilots in the U.S, Air Force
- Selected as the first USAF Surgeon General Refractive Surgery Consultant
- First to Direct and Manage the USAF Refractive Surgery Program
- Over 30 years experience in laser vision surgery, including LASIK and PRK
- Over 30 years experience in refractive surgery, including laser eye surgery, lens implant surgery (IOLs), and other vision correction procedures
- Over 30 years experience in cataract surgery (including cataract surgery with lens implants)
- Performed over 55,000 LASIK and laser vision procedures
- Performed over 2,000 cataract surgery procedures (including cataract surgery with lens implants (IOLs)
- Principal Investigator for a major FDA clinical study for manufacturers of lasers and other devices, products, and/or medications related to vision and general eyecare as well as a Co-Investigator for 15 other FDA clinical studies
- Principal or associate investigator for 14 U.S. military studies in ophthalmology
Premier Patient Care
- “All-Laser”LASIK (bladeless) using the IntraLase laser
- Wavefront Based (“Custom”) LASIK and PRK laser eye surgery
- Use of iLASIK Procedure- WaveScan Technology, IntraLase, and Visx Advanced CustomVue treatments
- Use of Allegretto WaveLight Technology
- Offers complete refractive surgery care
- LASIK and PRK laser eye surgery
- Intraocular lens implant surgery (IOLs) including Refractive Lensectomy (RLE) or Clear Lensectomy (CLE) using monofocal lenses, multifocal lenses, and toric implants
- Corneal Transplants
- Astigmatic Incisions
- Cataract surgery (including cataract surgery with lens implants)
- Laser-Assisted Cataract Surgery
- Offers Premium Lens Implants
- "No Stitch" Techniques
- Management of complications of surgery for new patients who had problems and complications from LASIK surgery or another vision correction operation or cataract surgery performed by another eye doctor.
- Other eye surgeons, optometrists, opticians, employees of companies that specialize in vision correction surgery devices or products, and/or their family members have chosen Dr. Smith to perform their LASIK or another vision correction procedure or cataract surgery.
- U.S. Military, Pilots, and first responders choose Dr. Smith for his background and expertise with precision vision in regard to occupational issues.
- Private Practice: LasikPlus, LCA Vision
- Medical Director & Chief Surgeon, LasikPlus-Dallas
- Current Faculty Appointments:
- Past Faculty Appointments
- Hospital Staff Appointments
- Wilford Hall USAF Medical Center, Lackland AFB, TX
- Past Hospital Staff Appointments
- Professional Societies and Organizations - Membership and Affiliations
- American Academy of Ophthalmology (AAO)
- American Society of Cataract and Refractive Society (ASCRS)
- Society of Medical Consultants to the Armed Forces
- Society of Military Ophthalmologists
- Association of Graduates, USAF Academy
- Texas Medical Association
- Dallas Medical Society
- Certified by American Board of Ophthalmology
- Consulting Positions (for companies that develop lasers, other ophthalmic products and medications)
- USAF Surgeon General Refractive Surgery Consultant
- Certification(s) to Train other LASIK and refractive eye surgeons
- Editorial Boards and Positions: Journal of Refractive Surgery
- Reviewer: Journal of Refractive Surgery
- 9 peer-reviewed scientific journal articles published
- Presentations, Lectures, Panels, and Courses
- Over 30 lectures and poster presentations on research topics at major eye meetings
- Served on over 20 vision correction and other eye related panels at major ophthalmology meetings
- Taught over 15 courses at major eye meetings
- Military/Professional Honors
- Awarded USAF Achievement Medal, 1988, 2002
- Awarded USAF Commendation Medal, 1989
- Awarded USAF Meritorious Service Medal, 1993, 1998, 2004
- Selected as Outstanding Junior Officer, Brooks AFB Clinic, 1992
- Selected as Flight Surgeon of the Year, Brooks AFB, 1993
- Nominated as Outstanding Air Material Command Flight Surgeon, 1993
- Surgeon General’s Award, Most Outstanding Ophthalmology Paper, 1993
- San Antonio Gordon Award, Outstanding Ophthalmology Paper, 1993
- San Antonio Gordon Award, Outstanding Ophthalmology Paper, 1996
- Selected as Project Officer, USAF Photorefractive Keratectomy Program, 1996
- Awarded National Eye Institute Research Grant, 2000
- Selected USAF Surgeon General Consultant for Refractive Surgery, Jun 2001
- Certified VISX National Trainer, Jun 2001
- Selected as Program Manager, USAF Refractive Surgery Program, Jun 2001
- Selected as first USAF Surgeon General Refractive Surgery Consultant, 2002
- USAF Meritorious Service Medal, 3 devices
- USAF Commendation Medal
- USAF Achievement Medal, 2 devices
- National Defense Service Medal
- USAF Outstanding Unit Citation, 3 devices
- USAF Organizational Excellence Award
- USAF Longevity Award
- Charitable Events
- Participates in Wounded Warrior Program (provides free LASIK to disabled wounded warriors and their family members)
- Undergraduate: Bachelor of Science, Chemistry, United States Air Force Academy, (USAFA), CO
- Distinguished Graduate (Top 1%)
- Medical School: Doctor of Medicine, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, MI
- Internship: Internal Medicine, Wilford Hall USAF Medical Center, Lackland AFB, TX
- Residency:Ophthalmology, Wilford Hall USAF Medical Center, Lackland AFB, TX
- Chief Resident
- Fellowship: Cornea, External Disease; Refractive Surgery, Emory University, Atlanta, GA
Robert E. Smith, M.D.
Dr. Smith has been performing laser vision correction surgery for over 30 years, seven of which have been withLasikPlus of Dallas. He has performed over 55,000 LASIK and laser vision correction procedures.
Dr Smith served 30 years in the USAF and retired as Colonel. In the service, he started the USAF Refractive Surgery Program, and as the Medical Director, he performed refractive surgery on the first fighter pilots in the Air Force. Because of his experience and expertise, he was selected as the first USAF Surgeon General Refractive Surgery Consultant.
Dr. Smith is Board Certified in Ophthalmology and Fellowship-Trained in Cornea and Refractive Surgery. As a National Trainer, he trains and certifies other surgeons to perform refractive surgery.
Dr. Smith loves all sports, especially golf and tennis. He also loves spending time away from the office with his wife and 4 children.
“I enjoy helping folks get rid of their glasses and contacts and obtaining “fighter pilot vision” for the first time in their lives.” Dr. Robert E Smith, II
Please call (866) 755-2026 or visit LasikPlus today for your FREE LASIK consultation with a trusted expert LASIK eye surgeon and vision care specialist who is also a cataract surgeon with proven expertise.
You now have accurate information and a direct contact to an exceptional surgeon. Dr. Robert E. Smith, II and his exceptional staff are looking forward to meeting with you.
Thank you for visiting us at Trusted LASIK Surgeons.
To find a vision correction expert surgeon who has qualified to be listed at Trusted LASIK surgeons in another area, please visit:
The screening process and standards used by Trusted LASIK Surgeons™ can be found at: