Indianapolis LASIK, Cataract and Lens Implant Surgeon
Dr. William Whitson, M.D.
Trusted LASIK SurgeonsTM and Trusted Cataract SurgeonsTM
Dr. William E. Whitson, M.D.
Dr. Whitson has taught eye surgery courses to other doctors at major national and international meetings of ophthalmologists
Dr. Whitson is named as one of the Best Doctors in America
Dr. Whitson has received the award Ophthalmologist of the Year.
Dr. Whitson has been a principal and co-investigator in numerous investigational studies. He has also authored numerous articles in scientific journals.
Dr. Whitson is a national as well as international speaker.
Dr. Whitson's Website: Whitson Vision
To contact Dr. Whitson’s office directly through his contact form, please click here: Dr. Whitson Contact Form
To see and hear what former patients have to say about Dr. Whitson, please visit: Patient Testimonials about Dr. Whitson
Appointments: Two Locations
Whitson Vision - North
901 East 86th Street
Indianapolis, Indiana 46240
IU West Medical Professional Building
1115 N. Ronald Reagan Parkway,
Avon, Indiana 46123
Serving: Indianapolis, Avon, Mooresville, Indiana State, the USA & International patients.
Special discount* on LASIK and other elective surgery procedures offered by Dr. Whitson to members of U.S. military, local police and fire departments and certain family members. For more info, please contact the surgeon’s office directly and mention Trusted LASIK Surgeons.
Dr. Whitson also offers discount for Botox, please ask his office for details and qualifications information.
Dr. William E. Whitson has extensive qualifications that we estimate place him among the top 1% of LASIK, laser vision correction, corneal surgeons in the United States. Dr. Whitson is also an expert cataract surgeon with extensive lens implant qualifications.
For your convenience, these credentials and criteria have been grouped by Experience, Patient Care and Credentials. In addition, Dr. Whitson has included some additional career highlights that while not used by Trusted LASIK Surgeons in our screening process, clearly supplement his highly distinguished career.
Dr. Whitson's qualifications and credentials as one of the top LASIK and Cataract eye surgeons include:
- Over 20 years experience in laser vision surgery, including LASIK
- Over 20 years experience in refractive surgery (laser vision, lens implants and RK)
- Over 22 years experience in cataract surgery (including cataract surgery with lens implants)
- Performed over 10,000 LASIK and laser vision procedures
- Performed over 12,000 lens implant (IOL) procedures (not including IOLs related to cataract surgery)
- Performed over 12,000 cataract surgery procedures
- Principal Investigator for 5 FDA investigative studies of manufacturers of lasers and other devices and products related to refractive and cataract surgery as well as a Co-Investigator for other FDA clinical trials
- Investigator for National Eye Institute (NEI) and National Institutes of Health (NIH) Studies
- Over 20 years experience providing expert witness services on behalf of plaintiffs and defendants, including case review and expert testimony for cases involving the following refractive and cataract eye surgery procedures
- LASIK, pRK laser eye surgery, corneal transplants, cataract surgery, intraocular lens (IOL) implant procedures, including toric lenses, phakic lenses, monofocal lenses, and accommodating lenses
- Reviewed or provided expert witness testimony for over 20 cases
- Wavefront Based (“Custom”) LASIK and PRK laser eye surgery
- Offers complete refractive surgery care
- LASIK and PRK laser eye surgery
- Intraocular lens implant surgery (IOLs) including Refractive Lensectomy (RLE) or Clear Lensectomy (CLE) using monofocal lenses, multifocal lenses, and accommodating lenses, as well as phakic implants and toric implants
- Phakic Intraocular Lens Implants:Verisyse, Visian ICL
- Presbyopia Correcting Surgery: Crystalens, ReSTOR, TECNIS® Multifocal
- Corneal Transplants, including
- PKP (corneal grafting or penetrating keratoplasty)
- DSAEK (Descemet Stripping Automated Endothelial Keratoplasty)
- DALK (Deep Anterior Lamellar Keratoplasty)
- Other vision correction surgery: ICL
- Cornea and External Disease Specialist
- Cataract Eye Surgery (including cataract surgery with lens implants)
- For testimonials from former patients, please visit : Dr. Whitson's Patient Testimonials
- Management of complications of surgery for new patients who had problems from a LASIK or other vision correction procedure or cataract surgery performed by another doctor
- Other eye surgeons, optometrists, opticians, employees of companies that specialize in refractive surgery instrumentation or their family members have had LASIK, lens implant or another refractive or cataract surgery operation performed by Dr. Whitson
- Hospital Staff Appointments
- Professional Society and Organizations (Membership and Affiliations)
- American Academy of Ophthalmology
- American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery
- American College of Surgeons: Fellow
- Indiana Academy of Ophthalmology
- Past Member, Third Party Relations Committee
- Past Member, Carrier Advisory Committee
- Past Chairman, Third Party Reimbursement Committee
- Past Chairman, Eye Bank Committee
- Indianapolis Ophthalmologic Society
- Certified by American Board of Ophthalmology
- Consulting Positions (for companies that develop lasers and other
- Over 40 peer-reviewed scientific journal articles published plus other articles for non peer-reviewed publications
- Over 100 lectures on research topics at major national eye meetings, plus additional presentations at local and regional meetings.
- Dr. Whitson has received the Best Doctors in America award every year since 1996 and ranks among the top 5% of all physicians nationally. This honor was noted in the Indy Star
- Named a Top Doctor by Indianapolis Monthly, an annual list that honors the best physicians in the city. The doctors are selected by their peers as outstanding in their fields
- Dr. Whitson has received the Ophthalmologist of the Year from the Indiana Academy of Opthalmology.
- Undergraduate: University of Wisconsin, Bachelor of Arts, Zoology, Milwaukee, WI
- With Distinction
- Dean’s Honor List
- Phi Kappa Phi Academic Honor Society
- Medical Degree: Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI
- Alpha Omega Alpha, Medical Honor Society
- Flexible Internship, St. Joseph's Hospital, Milwaukee, WI
- Residency in Ophthalmology, University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, WA
- Fellowship in Cornea and External Disease, University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, Iowa City, IA
William E. Whitson, MD, FACS is board-certified in ophthalmology and is a fellowship-trained cornea specialist. He has been in private practice since 1987. His practice has emphases in refractive surgery, cataract surgery, cornea and anterior segment diseases and complications of intraocular lenses.
Since 1996 Dr. Whitson has participated in numerous reseach projects and FDA studies investigation excimer lasers, pharmaceutical agents and surgical procedures. Dr. Whitson is a national and we and international speaker and had lectured exentsively at local, national, and international meetings. He has also authored numerous articles in scientific journals.
Dr. Whitson completed his Fellowship in Cornea and External Disease at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, Iowa City, Iowa. His Residency in Ophthalmology was at the University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, and he graduated from the University of Wisconsin School of Medicine, Milwaukee. He is a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons and is a member of the American Academy of Ophthalmology, American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons, Indiana Academy of Ophthalmology and Indianapolis Ophthalmologic Society.
Call (317) 844-5500 or visit Whitson Vision today for your consultation with a trusted expert LASIK eye surgeon and vision care specialist. You now have accurate information and a direct contact to an exceptional surgeon. Dr. William Whitson and his exceptional staff are looking forward to meeting with you. You questions and concerns are welcome. Thank you for visiting us at Trusted LASIK Surgeons.
To find a vision correction expert surgeon who has qualified to be listed at Trusted LASIK surgeons in another area, please visit:
The screening process and standards used by Trusted LASIK Surgeons™ can be found at: