Virginia Beach LASIK Surgeon
Dr. Mark Pavilack, M.D.
Trusted LASIK Surgeon
Dr. Mark Pavilack, M.D.
- Dr. Pavilack's practice was voted "Best of the Best" in Hampton Roads by The Virginian-Pilot, in 2010 and 2011, and in 2010 were listed as "Best Place for LASIK Surgery", "Best Eye Care" and "Best Health Care Provider".
- Dr. Pavilack is a Board-Certified Diplomat of the American Board of Ophthalmology, a Fellow of the American Academy of Ophthalmology, and a member of the American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery.
- Dr. Pavilack has over 20 years experience in laser vision surgery and has performed over 1000 LASIK procedures and over 10,000 cataract surgeries. He was one of the first in his area of Pennsylvania to perform LASIK and related procedures.
Phone: (757) 483-0400
LASIK Text Line: (757) 434-0442
Virginia Beach, VA
1564 Laskin Road, Suite 192
Virginia Beach, VA 23451
805 N. Battlefield Blvd, Suite 111
Chesapeake, VA 23320
3235 Academy Avenue, Suite 200
Portsmouth, VA 23703
Dr. Mark Pavilack treats patients seeking LASIK, refractive and cataract surgery in the Hampton Roads area with offices in Virginia Beach, Chesapeake and Portsmouth as well as throughout Virginia.
Special discount*Special discounts on LASIK and other elective surgery procedures offered by Dr. Pavilack are available to members of the U.S. military, local police and fire departments and certain family members. Discounts also offered to patients with Optima, Blue Cross/Blue Shield or EyeMed insurance.
To learn what former patients of Tidewater Eye Centers have to say, please visit:
Patient Video Testimonials for Tidewater Eye Centers
Patient Written Testimonials for Tidewater Eye Centers
Dr. Mark Pavilack has extensive qualifications that Trusted LASIK Surgeons estimates place him among the top LASIK laser eye surgery and refractive surgeons and cataract surgery specialists in the United States.
For your convenience, these credentials and criteria have been grouped by Experience,Premier Patient Care and Credentials. In addition, Dr. Pavilack has included some additional career highlights that while notused by Trusted LASIK Surgeons in our screening process, clearly supplement his highly distinguished career.
- Before moving to Virginia to join Tidewater Eye Centers, Dr. Pavilack was among the first in his area of Pennsylvania to perform LASIK, PRK, Sutureless Cataract Surgery, Toric IOLs and Multifocal Implants.
- Dr. Pavilack was also among to first refractive surgeons in Hampton Roads to perform advanced corneal transplants including DSAEK, DALK, and TALK
- Over 20 years experience in laser vision surgery, including LASIK and PRK
- Over 23 years experience in refractive surgery, including laser vision, IOLs, RK and other vision correction procedures
- Over 23 years experience in cataract surgery (including cataract surgery with lens implants)
- Performed over 1,000 LASIK and laser vision procedures
- Performed over 10,000 cataract surgery procedures including cataract surgery with lens implants(IOL)
- Refractive and Cataract Surgery Expert Witness: Over 15 years experience providing expert witness services on behalf of plaintiffs and defendants, including case review and expert testimony for cases involving the following refractive and cataract eye surgery procedures
- Co-Investigator for 1 FDA clinical study for a manufacturer of lasers and other devices, products, and medications related to vision and general eye care
- Investigator and Co-author for the Cornea Donor Study Group
- Refractive and Cataract Surgery Expert Witness: Over 20 years experience providing expert witness services on behalf of plaintiffs and defendants, including case review and expert testimony for cases involving the following refractive, cornea, and cataract eye surgery procedures or diseases
- LASIK, PRK laser eye surgery, cataract surgery, intraocular lens (IOL) implant procedures, including toric lenses, monofocal lenses, multifocal lenses, and accommodating lenses
- Served as an expert for over 15 cases including case review and/or expert witness testimony.
- “All-Laser” LASIK (bladeless) using the IntraLase laser
- Wavefront Based (“Custom”) LASIK and PRK laser eye surgery
- Use of iLASIK Procedure- WaveScan Technology, IntraLase, and Visx Advanced CustomVue treatments
- Offers complete refractive surgery care
- LASIK and PRK laser eye surgery as well as EpiLASIK.
- Intraocular lens implant surgery (IOLs) including Refractive Lensectomy (RLE) or Clear Lensectomy (CLE) using monofocal lenses, multifocal lenses, and accommodating lenses, as well as toric implants and piggy-back IOLs
- Certified provider Restor, Crystalens, and Toric lens implants
- Limbal Relaxing Incisions
- Corneal Transplantation, including DALK, TALK, DSAEK
- Cataract Eye Surgery (including cataract surgery with lens implants)
- No needle, no stitch cataract surgery
- Among other surgical procedures offered by Dr. Pavilack are Keratoprosthesis, Compression Sutures, Arcuate Keratotomy, and Astigmatic Keratotomy
- Management of complications of surgery for new patients who had problems and complications from LASIK surgery or another vision correction operation or cataract surgery performed by another eye doctor
- Other eye surgeons, optometrists, opticians, employees of companies that specialize in vision correction surgery devices or products, and/or their family members have chosen Dr. Edmonds to perform their LASIK or another vision correction procedure or cataract surgery procedure.
- Faculty Appointments:
- Hospital and Surgical Center Affiliations:
- Sentara Norfolk Hospitals, Norfolk, Virginia
- Surgery Center of Chesapeake, Medical Executive Committee Member, 2006-2009
- Chesapeake General Hospital, Chesapeake, Virginia
- Bon Secours Maryview Hospital, Portsmouth, Virginia
- Bon Secours HarbourView Ambulatory Surgery Center, Harbour View Health Center, Suffolk, VA
- Bon Secours Virginia Beach Ambulatory Surgery Center, Virginia Beach, VA
- Ephrata Community Hospital, Chief of Ophthalmology, 1996-1997
- Professional Society and Organizations (Membership and Affiliations) <
- American Academy of Ophthalmology
- American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery (ASCRS)
- American College of Surgeons, Fellow, 1994-2006
- Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology
- Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society
- Chapter President, 1986-1987
- Phi Chi Medical Fraternity
- Alpha Epsilon Delta Premedical Honor Society
- Chairman, 1983
- Portsmouth Medical Society, 2007-Present
- The Medical Society of Virginia, 2007-Present
- Tidewater Ophthalmology and Otolaryngology Society
- Virginia Society of Ophthalmology
- American Academy of Ophthalmology
- Certified by American Board of Ophthalmology
- Consulting/Speaker Positions (for companies that develop lasers, other ophthalmic products and medications)
- Inspire Pharmaceuticals (Azasite, Elestat)
- Bausch & Lomb (Besivance)
- Allergan (Restasis)
- Certifications to train other LASIK and refractive eye surgeons
- Summit Technology: lasers
- Visx Technology: lasers
- Archives of Ophthalmology (past)
- Journal of Cataract and Refractive Surgery (past)s
- Over 35 peer-revised research papers and book chapters
- Over 25 presentations and lectures
- Over 5 videos and podcasts on ophthalmology
- Lectured on research topics at major and local eye meetings
- Served on vision correction and other eye related panels at major and local ophthalmology meetings
- Taught over 5 courses at major and local eye meetings
- Dr. Pavilack's practice, Tidewater Eye Centers, was voted "Best of the Best" in Hampton Roads by The Virginian-Pilot, 2010, 2011 and 2012
- "Best Place for Eye Care, Best Health Care Provider" and "Best Place for Laser Vision Correction" in Hampton Roads by the Virginian Pilot , 2010
- Previously voted "Best Place for Lasik Surgery" in Portsmouth and Virginia Beach
- National Registry of Who's Who, Lifetime Member
- Outstanding Young Man of America, 1996, 1997, 1998
- Who's Who in Medicine and Healthcare, 1997-1998, 1999-2000, 2000-2001
- N.R.L.C. Physician Advisory Board Physician of the Year, 2004
- Honors Societies:
- America's Top Ophthalmologist Award, Consumer Research Council of America, 2004-2011
- The Global Directory of Who's Who, 2006, 2007
- Charitable Activities:
- Susquehanna Association for the Blind and Vision Impaired
- Physician Volunteer, 1997-1999
- Physician Volunteer, 1997-1999
- Board Member, 1997-1999
- Lancaster County Association for the Blind
- Prevention of Blindness Committee Chairman, 1995-1997
- Board of Directors, 1995-19979
- Physician Volunteer, 1992-1997
- EyeCare America, Physician Volunteer, 2003-Present
- Mission Cataract , an organization which offers free cataract surgery to people of all ages who have no means to pay
- Physician Volunteer, 2007-Present
- Lion Eye Center for Sight, Physician Volunteer, 2003-Present
- Undergraduate: University of Florida, B.S. with High Honors, Microbiology and Cell Science, 09/79 - 04/83
- C.L.A.S.S.C. Scholastic Scholar, 1982-1983
- Medical Degree: Medical School of Vanderbilt University, M.D., 08/83 - 05/87
- Thomas Brown McClelland Scholastic Grant, 1985-1986, 1986-1987
- Eskind Scholar, 1986-1987
- Internship: Lehigh Valley Hospital Center, Allentown Affiliated Hospitals, Transitional, 07/87 - 06/88
- Residency: University of Michigan, W.K. Kellogg Eye Center, Ophthalmology, 07/88 - 06/91
- George Slocum Resident Research Award, 1989-1990, 1990-1991
- Fellowship: Harvard Medical School, Massachusetts Eye & Ear Infirmary http://www.masseyeandear.org, Cornea and External Disease, 07/91 - 07/92
- Harvard Medical School, Clinical Fellow, 1991-1992
Mark A. Pavilack, M.D. has dedicated his career to Corneal, Cataract, and Laser Eye Surgery. With over 20 years of clinical practice, Dr. Pavilack has extensive surgery experience and has completed thousands of procedures including cataract, lens implant, corneal transplant, and LASIK eye surgeries. He is a Board-Certified Diplomat of the American Board of Ophthalmology. He is also a Fellow of the American Academy of Ophthalmology and a member of the American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery.
Dr. Pavilack is a Phi Beta Kappa and High Honors graduate of the University of Florida. He obtained his medical degree from Vanderbilt University School of Medicine as President of the Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society in 1987. He was distinguished as a University of Michigan Resident and in a Corneal Fellowship at the Massachusetts Eye & Ear Infirmary of Harvard Medical School. He has received numerous honors and awardsincluding appointments to the prestigious Wills Eye Hospital in Philadelphia, the Massachusetts Eye & Ear Infirmary in Boston, and the Eastern Virginia Medical School in Norfolk. Dr. Pavilack has authored numerous articles and book chapters, as well as lectured at national and international meetings. The Consumer Research Council of America has recently named Dr. Pavilack among the Top Ophthalmologists in America.
Dr. Pavilack resides in Virginia Beach with his wife, Ann, and their three children. In his free time, he enjoys playing tennis and spending time with his family.
View Chesapeake, Virginia Beach LASIK Surgeon Dr. Mark Pavilack Curriculum Vitae
Appointments and Information
Please call (757) 483-0400 or visit Tidewater Eye Centers today for your free LASIK consultation with a trusted expert LASIK eye surgeon and vision care specialist who is also a cataract surgeon with proven expertise.
You now have accurate information and a direct contact to an exceptional surgeon. Dr. Mark Pavilack and his exceptional staff are looking forward to meeting with you. You questions and concerns are welcome..
Thank you for visiting us at Trusted LASIK Surgeons.
To find a vision correction expert surgeon who has qualified to be listed at Trusted LASIK surgeons in another area, please visit:
The screening process and standards used by Trusted LASIK Surgeons™ can be found at: