Boston LASIK Surgeon
Dr. Peter Rapoza, M.D., F.A.C.S.
Trusted LASIK Surgeons
Dr. Peter Rapoza, M.D., F.A.C.S.
Dr. Rapoza is a partner in Cornea Consultants, a founding partner of both the Laser Eye Center of Boston and the Laser Eye Consultants of Boston, (LECB).
He joined Ophthalmic Consultants of Boston in July of 2006.
Dr. Rapoza is an Assistant Professor of Ophthalmology at the Harvard Medical School with an appointment at the Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary.
Dr. Rapoza is member of the Department of Ophthalmology of the Tufts School of Medicine.
Dr. Rapoza is the Assistant Medical Director of the New England Eye Bank.
Dr. Peter Rapoza, M.D., F.A.C.S., LASIK Laser Eye Surgeon, Cataract Surgery, Corneal Transplant & Ocular Surface Expert
Appointments and Information:
Direct: (410) 955-5490
Toll Free: (800) 635-0489
Dr. Peter Rapoza has extensive qualifications that Trusted LASIK Surgeons estimates place him among the top 1% of LASIK Laser eye surgery, refractive surgeons, cataract surgery, corneal surgeons in the United States.
For your convenience, these credentials and criteria have been grouped by Experience, Patient Care and Credentials. In addition, Dr. Rapoza has included some additional career highlights that while not used by Trusted LASIK Surgeons in our screening process, clearly supplement his highly distinguished career.
Dr. Rapoza’s qualifications and credentials as one of the top LASIK surgeons include:
- Over 15 years experience in laser vision surgery, including LASIK
- Over 21 years experience in refractive surgery (laser vision, lens implants and RK)
- Performed over 18,000 LASIK and laser vision procedures
- Principal Investigator for 2 FDA Studies for laser manufacturers as well as a Co-Investigator for other studies, including Myopic PRK (VISX Laser) and Hyperopic LASIK (VISX Laser)
Premier Patient Care
- Use of Intralase system for "All-Laser" or "Bladeless" LASIK
- Use of Wavefront Based ("Custom") LASIK and PRK
- Use of iLASIK Procedure- WaveScan Technology, Intralase, and Visx Advanced CustomVue treatments
- Offers complete refractive surgery care, including LASIK, PRK, RLE / CLE, Phakic Implants, Limbal Relaxing Incisions, and cataract lens implants procedures
- Management of complications of surgery for new patients who had problems from a LASIK or other vision correction procedure performed by another doctor
- Other eye surgeons, optometrists, opticians, employees of companies that specialize in refractive surgery instrumentation or their family members have had their LASIK and other refractive surgeries performed by Dr. Rapoza.
- Member, American Academy of Ophthalmology
- Recipient of Honor Award
- Member, International Society of Refractive Surgery
- Member, American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery
- Member, Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology
- Member, Ocular Microbiology and Immunology Group
- Fellow, American College of Surgeons
- Member, Massachusetts Medical Society
- Member, Massachusetts Society of Eye Physicians and Surgeons
- Member, New England Society of Ophthalmology
- Certified by the American Board of Ophthalmology
- Current Faculty Appointments
- Assistant Clinical Professor, Department of Ophthalmology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA
- Member of the Department of Ophthalmology, Tufts School of Medicine, Boston, MA
- Past Faculty Appointments: Assistant Professor, Department of Ophthalmology, University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI
- Outstanding Faculty Contribution to Residency Education, presented by the Department of Ophthalmology Residency Staff
- New England Eye Bank
- Assistant Medical Director
- Hospital Staff Appointments and Privileges:
- Over 30 peer-reviewed scientific journal articles published
- Over 30 text book chapters and/or books
- Over 250 lectures on research topics at major eye meetings
- Named one of America's Top Ophthalmologists
- Named one of Best Doctors in America
- Named one of Best Doctors in Boston by Boston Magazine
- Named one in Who's Who in America
- Consultant to Ministries of Health of Tanzania, Kenya, Indonesia and the United Arab Emirates
- Featured of CNN, Public Broadcasting and "Connie Chung's Eye to Eye"
- Licensed captain by the United States Coast Guard
- Graduate of the Citizen's Academy of the Federal Bureau of Investigation
- Undergraduate: Northwestern University, B.S. Biological Sciences
- Graduated with distinction
- Elected to the Phi Beta Kappa Honor Society
- Medical School: Pritzker School of Medicine, University of Chicago, M.D. (with honors)
- Elected to the Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Scholastic Honor Society
- Internship (in Internal Medicine): University of Chicago Hospitals and Clinics
- Residency: Wilmer Ophthalmological Institute of the Johns Hopkins Hospital
- Fellowship (in cornea and external disease): Heed Foundation Fellowship at the University of Wisconsin-Madison
Peter Rapoza, M.D., is an internationally recognized authority in refractive surgery and the medical and surgical treatment of the cornea and ocular surface. He was an investigator in studies on radial and astigmatic keratotomy, photorefractive keratectomy, LASIK, corneal transplantation and cataract surgery. He has also participated in numerous clinical trials for ophthalmic pharmaceutical agents for the treatment of corneal transplant rejection, ocular inflammation in cataract surgery, dry eyes and ocular infections. He has worked extensively in teaching and providing medical care in Africa, the Middle East, the Far East and South America. Dr. Rapoza has appeared on several television programs including "Connie Chung's Eye to Eye", CNN and Public Broadcasting.
Dr. Rapoza graduated with distinction from Northwestern University where he was elected to the Phi Beta Kappa Honor Society. He received his medical degree with honors from the University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine and was elected to the Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Scholastic Honor Society. Dr. Rapoza completed an internship in Internal Medicine at the University of Chicago Hospitals and Clinics. He completed his residency at the Wilmer Ophthalmological Institute of the Johns Hopkins Hospital. Prior to his fellowship, Dr. Rapoza worked in Tanzania on the team performing a pivotal study of the causes of blindness in sub-Saharan Africa and uncovering important clues to the transmission of the blinding disorder trachoma. Dr. Rapoza was awarded a Heed Foundation Fellowship to pursue his subspecialty training in cornea and external disease at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. He was named the Director of Cornea, External Disease and Refractive Surgery and pursued a full-time academic career for six years.
Dr. Rapoza moved to Boston to become a partner in Cornea Consultants. He was a founding partner of both the Laser Eye Center of Boston and the Laser Eye Consultants of Boston (LECB). Dr. Rapoza joined Ophthalmic Consultants of Boston in July of 2006. Dr. Rapoza is an Assistant Professor of Ophthalmology at the Harvard Medical School with an appointment at the Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary.
He is also a member of the Department of Ophthalmology of the Tufts School of Medicine. He is the Assistant Medical Director of the New England Eye Bank. A highly experienced refractive, corneal and cataract surgeon, Dr. Rapoza has trained scores of fellows and hundreds of other physicians in refractive, corneal and cataract surgery. He has authored numerous medical papers and book chapters. He lectures worldwide and haS served as a consultant to the Ministry of Health of several nations. Dr. Rapoza is the recipient of an Honor Award from the American Academy of Ophthalmology for his scientific contributions and leadership in educational activities. He served on the Preferred Practice Plan Panel for Cornea and External Diseases setting practice guidelines for his areas of sub specialization.
Dr. Rapoza has been selected by his peers as one of "America's Top Ophthalmologists" and is listed in "Best Doctors in America". Boston Magazine has recognized him as one of the top ophthalmologists in the region. He is also listed in Who's Who in America. He is a United States Coast Guard licensed captain and a graduate of the Citizen's Academy of the Federal Bureau with numerous local, national and international not-for-profit organizations. He is an avid sailor, SCUBA diver, fitness enthusiast, dog rescuer and cook.
Appointments, Information, Consultation, and Surgery
Toll Free: (800) 635-0489
To find a vision correction expert surgeon who has qualified to be listed at Trusted LASIK surgeons in another area, please visit:
The screening process and standards used by Trusted LASIK Surgeons™ can be found at: