Dr. George Waring, IV has extensive qualifications that Trusted LASIK SurgeonsTM estimates place him among the top 1% of all LASIK, laser vision correction, refractive and cataract surgeons not only in the United States but the world.
For your convenience, these credentials and criteria have been grouped by Experience, Premier Patient Care and Credentials. In addition, Dr. Waring has included some additional career highlights which while not used by Trusted LASIK SurgeonsTM and Trusted Cataract SurgeonsTM in our screening process, clearly demonstrate his highly distinguished career as a true pioneer in advancing vision correction surgery throughout the world and demonstrating his expertise as one of the best vision correction surgeons you can find.
Dr. George Waring IV’s qualifications and credentials as one of the best LASIK, cataract, laser cataract and refractive surgery experts include:
- First LASIK surgeon in the United States to perform LASIK surgery with the Alcon Wavelight EX500 Excimer laser. To see the video, please see Dr. George Waring performing LASIK with the Alcon Refractive Suite
- First surgeon in the United States to perform PRK surgery with the Alcon Wavelight EX500 Excimer laser.
- First surgeon in South Carolina to perform Optimedica Catalys femtosecond laser assisted cataract surgeries.
- First Surgeon to Perform High Speed LASIK and PRK in the United States.
- First Surgeon to Perform High Definition Custom LASIK in South Carolina.
- First Surgeon in the world to perform the commercial implantation of the Tecnis Toric II advanced astigmatism correcting IOL.
- First Surgeon in South Carolina to implant the Synergy and Synergy Toric II hybrid extended depth of focus and multifocal IOL.
- Performed thousands of LASIK and PRK laser vision, refractive and cataract surgery procedures.
- Principal Investigator for several FDA clinical studies for manufacturers of lasers and other devices, products, and/or medications related to vision and general eyecare.
- Served as principle investigator for US FDA clinical trials for the world’s first and only eye drop to treat age related blurry near vision.
- Served as medical monitor for FDA clinical trials for collagen crosslinking.
- Refractive and Cataract Surgery Expert Witness: Available to provide expert witness services on behalf of plaintiffs and defendants, including case review and expert testimony for cases involving the following refractive and cataract eye surgery procedures:
- LASIK, PRK laser eye surgery, cataract surgery, conductive keratoplasty, intraocular lens (IOL) implant procedures, including toric lenses, phakic lenses, monofocal lenses, multifocal lenses, and accommodating lenses
Dr. George O. Waring IV, MD FACS, is the founder of the Waring Vision Institute. He is an Adjunct Assistant Professor of Bioengineering at the College of Engineering and Science at Clemson University.
He also served as an Assistant Professor of Ophthalmology, the Director of Refractive Surgery at Medical University of South Carolina (MUSC), Storm Eye Institute and the Medical Director at Magill Vision Center from 2012-2017. Prior to joining faculty at MUSC, Dr. Waring specialized in corneal refractive, cataract and intraocular lens surgery in private practice Ohio. He has served as Clinical Assistant Professor of Ophthalmology at the Emory University School of Medicine, and a Staff Ophthalmologist at the Veteran’s Affairs Medical Center in Atlanta, GA.
Dr. Waring IV is a diplomate of the American Board of Ophthalmology. He has served as the World Surgical Monitor for AcuFocus, Inc., and teaches ophthalmic surgeons worldwide advanced techniques in the surgical correction of presbyopia. Dr. Waring IV is a founding member of the American College of Ophthalmic Surgeons and was selected as one of 10 founding members of the prestigious Vanguard Ophthalmology society to recognize future leaders in Ophthalmology. He is a founding member of the Cornea, External Disease and Refractive Surgery Society, is a fellow of the American Academy of Ophthalmology, and is an associate fellow of the American College of Surgeons. Other professional memberships include the International Society of Refractive Surgery, the American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery, the European Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery, the Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology, and the Cornea Society. Dr. Waring IV serves on the Program Committee for the International Society of Refractive Surgery, the Program Committee for the American College of Ophthalmic Surgeons and is the Course Director for the annual American Academy of Ophthalmology Laser Refractive Surgery Course.
Dr. Waring IV is active in clinical research, and has served as Medical Director of Ophthalmology at the St. Joseph’s Translational Research Institute in Atlanta, GA. He has performed surgery, taught new surgical procedures and delivered over 200 invited lectures on four continents. He has over 300 scientific publications, abstracts and presentations to his credit, including over 50 peer reviewed manuscripts and over 12 book chapters on corneal, refractive and lens surgery. Dr. Waring IV has received numerous awards and distinctions for excellence in ophthalmology including the American Academy of Ophthalmology Achievement Award and the Intraocular Implant and Refractive Society Gold Medal Award. He has been recognized as one of the nation’s Top Doctors in Ophthalmology by Castle Connolly’s Guide to America’s Top Ophthalmologists. He is the Senior Editor for the American Academy of Ophthalmology’s Ophthalmic News and Educations Subcommittee on Refractive Management. He is the Chief medical Editor of Millennial Eye, a groundbreaking all digital publication targeted to future leaders in Ophthalmology. Dr. Waring IV serves as a Faculty Member of “Faculty of 1000”, a global peer review process for the literature in refractive surgery. He is also a regular reviewer for multiple peer reviewed journals including the American Journal of Ophthalmology, the Journal of Refractive Surgery, the Journal of Cataract and Refractive Surgery and Cornea. He serves on the Editorial Board of Cataract and Refractive Surgery Today, and is Section Editor for the columns “Focus on Refractive Surgery” in Ophthalmology Times and “Technology Watch” in Advanced Ocular Care. He also serves as Senior Editor for the Refractive Surgery section of Pearls in Ophthalmology. Dr. Waring also serves on multiple scientific advisory panels, aiding in the development of new technologies.
Dr. Waring IV completed a dual degree in Economics and Ecology at Emory University in Atlanta, GA, followed by his Doctor of Medicine at the Emory University School of Medicine. Dr. Waring IV served as Administrative Chief Resident of Ophthalmology at the State University of New York (SUNY), where he was the first resident to be named Resident Physician of the Year by the faculty two years in a row. He served as Resident Chairman of Graduate Medical Education to represent over 900 residents, and he received the distinguished Award for Outstanding Service to SUNY Downstate Medical Center. He completed his sub-specialty fellowship training in Cornea and Refractive Surgery under the world-renowned mentorship of Daniel S. Durrie, MD, in Overland Park, KS.
View Curriculum Vitae of Dr. George O. Waring IV, MD, FACS
For LASIK, cataract surgery and other vision correction procedures, please call (843) 592-3955.
Contact Dr. George Waring IV at the Waring Vision Institute today for your free LASIK consultation with a trusted expert LASIK surgeon and vision care specialist who is also a cataract and lens implant surgeon with proven expertise.
You now have accurate information and a direct contact to an exceptional surgeon. LASIk and cataract surgery expert Dr. George Waring IV and his exceptional staff are looking forward to meeting with you.
Thank you for visiting us at Trusted LASIK Surgeons™.
To find a vision correction expert surgeon who has qualified to be listed at Trusted LASIK Surgeons™ in another area, please visit:
Find a Trusted LASIK Surgeon™
Find a Trusted Cataract Surgeon™
The screening process and standards used by Trusted LASIK Surgeons™ and Trusted Cataract Surgeons™ can be found at:
How Are LASIK and Cataract Surgeons Qualified at Trusted LASIK Surgeons™ and Trusted Cataract Surgeons™